Thursday, August 20, 2009

Bucket List Item #7: Vacation, anyone?

'CoverCover via Amazon

First, let me say... I love my family. I adore my Hubby and think that he is absolutely the best person ever, and always the best companion for just about anything (shopping is a definite no-no). My kids are wonderfully smart and amazingly innovative. They travel very well and always have. Face it, when you live in the country like we do, they really didn't have a choice. They know how to pack a small bag to keep themselves entertained for almost any kind of trip...

That said, I would love to have a vacation by myself.

I read a book once, written by Anne Morrow Lindbergh, called Gift from the Sea. Amazing book! It likened periods in our lives to various sea shells... Ok, so it's a bit odd to talk about it, but really a very good read. My copy is a bit water logged as I read it in the bath and that is where I keep the volume now. About as close to the sea as my land locked body gets these days. But I digress....

In the book Mrs. Lindbergh talked extensively about taking yearly vacations by herself! I was so floored! She had children... A husband... She was a professional writer... There were responsibilities... And yet, she took a week (maybe two) out for just her. She wrote, walked on the beach, gathered shells, ate when she pleased (if she pleased) and she did nothing. NOTHING! Can you even imagine?

Obviously, I cannot. But I would like to try!

I want to take a vaction alone.
Reblog this post [with Zemanta]

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Widget by LinkWithin