Sunday, August 16, 2009

Bucket list item #3: Travel to far away places

(OK, this may never happen...)

There are some places in this grand world that I would dearly love to see. I think. Except for that travel thing. That thing that makes me get on planes and go places I don't know and be in places I don't speak the right language... That flat out terrifies me. But maybe, just maybe, I will overcome those fears to see these locales.

I want to see:
  • England

    Spain travel plansImage by Jonathan Taglione via Flickr

  • France
  • Austria
  • Germany
  • Scotland
  • Ireland
  • Greece
  • Israel
  • Egypt
  • Australia
  • Italy
  • Spain
  • China

Kind of hilarious how fast that list grew from three places in my blog notebook to so many once I got started!

I am not a world traveler. In fact, I have a hard time traveling within my own country. I am, at heart, a big chicken for not getting out of my comfy zone and stretching my legs. I read about how so many bloggers travel so often and some even to Blog Camp (still pondering the bravery of that venture...) to meet so many wonderful and random folks. I think to myself how fascinating that would be, to travel like Julochka and be so nonchalant about it.

I myself am more the sweaty palmed traveler. I can be excited about a trip, but I still have all that anxiety leading up to it. I wonder what might go wrong, if I took a wrong turn (I do most of my traveling by car), how will I know where the "bad" neighborhoods are? And then I start into the international thingy.... Forget it! I am now balled up on the bathroom floor and sweating profusely!

Hubby? Well, he is adventurous at heart! He spend seven months in Italy (being all linguistically challenged didn't seem to bother him a bit) and even had a trek into Austria and Germany for a few days. He, of course, saw horses on his forays. I would want to see castles and cathedrals and landscape. I know that if I had Hubby on for the ride, I could do it. His demeanor and his calm, mixed in with the fact that he got horrifically lost on the train in Italy, would give me the courage I need to make it a fun adventure and not a decent into the depths of doom.

I would like to travel.

2 comments:

  1. I'm 52 and until my daughter mover to PEI about five years ago I had never been out of Nova Scotia. So now I guess you could call me a mini traveler ...two provinces...well three counting the little jaunt through New Brunswick to get to the Confederation Bridge to PEI. But I love it where I am and I've never had the desire to go anywhere else, certainly not a beach resort. If I had to choose, it would be some place like
    Ireland. I don't think I would be afraid to go on a plane but the hassle at the airport would total freak me out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Marisa: I do some small traveling... I just think of how much I would gain by stretching out of my comfort zone! Amazing how our kids do that for us, isn't it?

    ReplyDelete

Blog Widget by LinkWithin