Sunday, June 21, 2009

Mama always said...

I love that song... Mama said there'd be days like this - And there were! I love that thought. That somehow your mom could let you know, in a subtle and comforting way, that this is just one day. It might be a tedious day, filled with mundane tasks and errands and laundry, or it might be a wonderful day... One that catches the light just right and makes you smile at every turn. That's the wonderful things about Moms... They know that you need a little encouragement at critical times to keep going. My mom is pretty good at that!

My mother is a very special person in my life. She doesn't know it and she is often plagued by worries that she somehow did it all wrong. But she didn't. She got most of it so very right. There isn't anything about who I am that I don't owe to my mother in some fashion and that can't be anything but the right answer.

My mom is strong. She weathered things in her life that I hope I am never, ever, ever faced with. She not only weathered them, she was victorious over them! She rose from the rubble, pulled up her boot straps, brushed herself off... Whatever cliche you want to insert here - She survived and then she flourished! I am very proud of her for never giving up, never allowing life to frighten her into submission. She simply stood up and took the next step, giving me the definition of strength as she did it.

Mom was a single working parent for many years, before it was cool. She didn't complain about it, she just did it. There were two children (at the time) to feed and clothe and rent to pay and bills to meet. She had an obligation where men failed. She couldn't or simply wouldn't walk away. I get that. I do that too. Where there is a need, I meet it when I have the ability. Because it is the right thing to do, and it needs done. Not doing just isn't an option.

I have often reassured her that I am who I am today, that person that she loves so much, because of how I grew up. She didn't get it wrong. She got it all right! I am responsible because I earned my privileges. I am loving because I learned love from her. I am loyal and honest because she taught me sometimes your word is all you have. I am strong because I learned being weak and whiny isn't an option and it damned sure isn't effective! I am also opinionated, quick tempered and sometimes easily offended. I take it all, because it makes me a part of her too.

We share a lot of each other, Mom and me, and I am glad. I worry only that I won't get it right with my own children. I want them to know want, so that the getting is sweeter. I want them to hurt a little so that the healing is appreciated. I want them to have heart break so that they will know what true love really feels like. I say that, but I don't know what I will do when it comes for my own. I hope that I am strong like my mother and I can be the one to give a solid example to them in their trial.

Reblog this post [with Zemanta]

1 comment:

  1. Thank you. Not sure that I deserve it, but thank you for the view from your eyes.
    yomama

    ReplyDelete

Blog Widget by LinkWithin