Friday, May 29, 2009

Reality sucks...

OK Julochka... You said in your post that to be a good blogger, you need to be real... I struggle with that! Not the real part that is my happy self. But that real part that is the whiny, inconsolable, pain in the butt that not even I like to be around. That person that has been overloaded sensory-wise and just wants to sit in a room with her computer and blog about what a crappy mood she's in...

It started today with my blog reading... I usually really like this part of my day. I get to catch up and read those that I hold in high esteem and dream about someday being as eloquent as they are. I even get to chuckle sometimes. Today was not that day. One of the blogs I have really enjoyed in the past just hit me wrong. Normally, I can let things of this nature roll off my back, but today - Not so much. I was insulted by its insinuation that I was a kluge, an ignoramus, a dinosaur. I don't like feeling like that. Especially after turning 40. I'm still tender over that. I didn't like the delivery, which I usually find hilarious. All day I tried to shake that feeling of disappointment... Couldn't get there. Ever run into to someone you haven't seen for a while? Or start up a inconsequential conversation in the line at the grocery and suddenly the person you are talking to begins down a road that starts to become very uncomfortable for you? That's how I felt today. I expected the quirky, cynical, tongue in cheeky-ness that I have come to admire and have often fallen out of my chair laughing at. I took it today as condescending, judgemental, bitter-banter. And then I re-read the post and things evened out.... It wasn't personal, though I had taken it there. But it got me thinking about things that irritate me about being a Christian in today's polically correct world...

OK - Enough of being cryptic. Time to get real... I am a Christian. I don't run around accosting people and asking perfect strangers if they know Jesus. But I do give credit for a lot in my life to Almighty God. There has been enough in my life that can not be explained any other way, and to simply chalk it up to karma or fate seems the most empty and sad way to live - FOR ME. I do not talk down to those who don't want to believe in Christ. I don't walk about with an air of superiority because I have an "in". I don't treat those who don't live a Christian life (which by the way, in my estimation, is incredibly flawed and not a model of perfection by any standard) as if they are beneath me and in no way capable of an intellectual view point.

I am greatly insulted by those that treat my belief system as if it were a crutch or the ravings of an ignoramus. I do not in any way feel that I must blame every bad thing that happens on Satan and I do take a little credit when I do something well. I also live in a fallen world. That world is full of crappy folks that do crappy things. Yup, I said "crappy"! But if I choose to believe that my successes are a gift given to me because God so chose, I think that I should still be afforded the politeness with which I try to treat those who tell me believers are ignorant simpletons with no imagination or capabilities to accept their lot in life. I simply choose to give credit to God for blessing me with the things I have in my life that mean so very much to me. I have so much around me that just shouts His name! The beauty in my back yard is just a small sampling of that.

Why is it that those who choose to believe in nothing or to sit on the fence about what they believe feel the need to speak of Christians as a group not even deserving of basic courtesy? I realize throughout history Christendom has had it's historical acts of indiscriminate violence and hatred. Gotcha... That was incredibly evil and despicable and in no way excusable as anything but reprehensible. And I realize that today there are still those who approach the world with their crosses held high, alienating those who see them with their hate-speech and hypocritical stances. Got it. I am not that person. I am intelligent - well, most of the time. Don't ask anything of me that requires detailed math or algorithms... But I digress. I am an intelligent sentient being with a lot to say that doesn't have to alienate others who don't believe the way I do. In fact, I try very hard to not alienate others with what I believe. I think THAT is more important that being "right" or being "smart". I think that if I live the way I believe, I can reach far more people than if I am constantly SAYING what I believe and missing the mark with how I live. Quite frankly, I miss the mark often! That is the whole point of Christianity. It isn't to live perfectly, it is to show that there is no perfect way to live and we all fall short, thus the need for a saviour... And I have needed a saviour more than once in my life! But in order to be saved from anything, the person needing the saving has to ASK for the saving... If you throw a life preserver to someone who is simply swimming along, they are going to look at you askance and wonder what in the world is wrong with you! If you hit them over the head with the preserver, you should expect for them to throw it back at you with some force! I try to make it a practise to not throw things at people...

I try very hard to be accepting of those that are not where I am at in my faith. I hope and yes, I pray, that those that are closest to me will be a part of my faith, but I am accepting if they do not. It isn't my job to MAKE them be anything. That, I believe, is God's job. I have enough to do without taking that on! But don't expect me to not bristle when I am called ignorant or simple. I am still hoping for a little respect.

That is my real. I hope my whining is over now.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Widget by LinkWithin