Wednesday, May 13, 2009

My mom never gets sick....

ah yes... Flu season. That should say it all.
I don't ever remember a time in my life as a child when my mother was sick. I remember tears, but not sniffles. I remember angst, but not illness. My mom just never got sick! And if she did, she hid it from my narcisistic little butt rather well! I guess that would explain the reason I reacted with such swiftness when my mother did indeed become gravely ill not that long ago. It made me take stock. Made me realize that there are things in this life you cannot get back. Things you cannot unsay once said, and things that you can only speak into the air once that person is gone. It made me think about my life without my mother and it made me think about my children. Because of her illness, I take care.
  • I take care to not say that thing that pops into my head in anger
  • I take care of my silly food issues, even though they are inconvenient and expensive
  • I take care to talk to my kids, casually and with all the love I can muster
  • I take care to not snap when for the six hundredth time I am asked where something I don't use is located
  • I take care of our animals and love them when my children are terribly distracted
  • I take care to always part on a loving note, especially when getting into a car
  • I take care to reach out, even when it wasn't my fault it turned out so badly
  • I take care to love my husband even when I want to throw my shoe at him
  • I take care to remember that funerals aren't for the dead, they are for the living.
  • I take care to pray for those that mean the most to me, whether they know it or not

I love my life. I don't love the flu. I am treating mine with copious amounts of dirty martinis and garlic olives. I'll let you know how it turns out... Maybe.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Widget by LinkWithin