Wednesday, January 13, 2010

An attitude of gratitude...





Despite the fact that Blogger seems to be all farged up today, monkeying with my beautiful picture and not allowing me to type in the left alignment, I am going to choose to ignore that.  I am going to choose to be grateful that I can blog.  I am going to be grateful that despite the fact that this really bites, I still have a beautiful thank you card to send out to those who were so wonderful as to gift us something this year at Christmas.  I choose that.  I choose that instead of ranting and being disappointed that Blogger seems to suck more and more and I am seriously considering checking out that WordPress thingy...

Ahem.  On to my regular post...

Gratitude.  It seems alusive these days.  In this time where there are many who feel the world owes them a living, that I owe them courtesy despite their rudeness, that life owes them fairness...  In this time, gratitude seems to be slipping farther and farther away from us.  I want to make some changes in my life that at least make a feable attempt at stemming that tide.  I want to be grateful.  I want to look at my life and remember that I am owed nothing.  No one has to be nice to me.  Life is not fair.  But I can choose the be grateful in the midst of it.  I can choose to be joyful.  Not gleeful - don't think anyone would buy that from me!  But at peace with my circumstances and accepting of my daily station.  That I can choose to do.

I have begun the daunting task of preparing meals to be eaten at the kitchen table once more.  We did this for the first years of our kids' lives to teach them table manners and to give them time with Daddy.  We need it again as we start into the teen years.  My children are very good kids.  They are not surly or separatist, like I was at their ages.  Give them time, I am sure some changes will take place.  Right now, however, they are good and kind and people I want to spend time with.  More than scarfing down dinner in front of the television.  More than glancing hugs and 5 minutes at bed time, during prayer.  I want to know my kids and know where their hearts are during this tumultuous time.  And I am grateful for the opportunity.  I can throw together meals and set the table for that.

Gratitude.  What are you grateful for today?  Write it down.  Look at it.  Will it be something you can share?  Is it important?  Will it fade in the next 5 minutes?  Can, and more importantly, will you hold onto that gratitude and make it last?  I'll try if you will... :-)

1 comment:

  1. I too am grateful for wonderful kind inspiring children. We do try to sit down together to eat, mainly because I don't let them eat in the living room.. very occasionally. But it's a good habit to get into, you learn a lot!!! Good luck and thanks for reminding me!!

    ReplyDelete

Blog Widget by LinkWithin