Sunday, September 13, 2009

On the wings of angels...

She is gone. She came to me as a lovely round ball of fur with the teeniest of angelic wings... I loved her so dearly. She was mine and I was hers. I miss her so very much. Her quiet loveliness and her sighs as she lay on the floor near my bed are gone forever.

There just isn't anyway to say how much a friend like this means in my heart. She never judged me. She loved me unconditionally and she waited each day to walk with me, sit with me, live with me. To call her a pet seems so insulting. She was my friend. The truest kind of friend that simply cannot be matched in the human sphere. She loved my kids. She loved my other furry friends. She especially loved Hubby.

She didn't like large crowds, unless they were willing to throw the ball... Or the Frisbee... Or a rock, blade of grass or smallest of pebble... She was OCD that way. She did not like riding in the car. She loved the vet clinic. She was odd that way. All of the docs and vet techs who knew her loved her. She never bit anyone. Not even when she hurt. She just trusted her humans.



Loving her was easy. Letting her go is a tremendously difficult process.

12 comments:

  1. Ian and I so sorry to hear the news Stacey! I just bawled reading that. I can't even imagine how hard this must be for you right now.

    At least we know Jewel is no longer suffering and is now in a better place.

    <333333

    ReplyDelete
  2. Stacey I am so sorry your little love has gone, the pain is unbearable I know. There's something about the language that's unspoken that gets into your heart. God Bless. Ali.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Stacey, my stomach clenched and my eyes filled with tears even as I read your post title. I have dreaded this news, but knew it would come since that is the natural order of life.

    Your eulogy to Jewel is respectful, loving and paints a beautiful picture of who she was for those of us who didn't get to know her in person.

    Her spirit is free and she walks beside you in another form now.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Stacey, I wrote a small post in honor of your beloved friend.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dear Stacey:
    I stand with you in your sorrow over the loss of your dear friend. Having bid goodbye to six of mine, I know how you are feeling and wish there was something I could do to make it easier.

    Except, I promise as the days go along, Jewel will find a way to come to you again and let you know without question that she is well and happy and her love for you has not changed as she has changed to her next exciting place.

    Namaste'

    ReplyDelete
  6. Here via The Fragrant Muse--I'm so sorry for your loss. What a beautiful post.

    ReplyDelete
  7. To all of you who have commented... I cannot tell you how appreciated your sentiments are. Thank you. I know that she is well now, no more pain and running in the tall grass somewhere warm with yummy scents on the breeze and no limp in her gait. I miss her but I am also very glad she is no longer in pain. thank you...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Stacey, I took Liz's suggestion to visit and read your goodbye to your Jewel. So very glad I did. What lovely true words to describe a wonderful relationship. How blessed you are to have had Jewel in your life. I look forward to reading when Holly's promise comes to fruition; Jewel's visit and reassurace of her wellbeing and continued love.
    I pray His comforting angels attend you today.

    ReplyDelete
  9. So very sorry Stacy..it's so hard to loose them! She sounds like she was a wonderful sweet pooch. Hugs, Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh I'm so so sorry. this is so beautifully written and moving. I have lost a few cats in my life, but one (a Jewel) was so special. I still miss him so much, definintely not a pet and a friend.

    Thinking of you and Jewel, with her funny quirky loving ways x

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you so much everyone... You are such a wonderful set of "folks" who just seem to get it! I appreciate your sentiments. They have helped tremendously!

    ReplyDelete
  12. My eyes filled with tears when I read this and all the postings on Jewel. So much love is here. What a lovely tribute to your friend, your dog.
    Your new post sounds like wonderful beginnings - keep Jewel's spirit with you and thanks for sharing her story.

    ReplyDelete

Blog Widget by LinkWithin