Saturday, May 28, 2011

Southern Charm

The sound of my bike tires clacking softly over the wooden slat bridge fit perfectly in to the scene as I traveled under the canopy of old oaks. Riding in the morning air created a breeze to keep my Colorado blood from boiling over and I couldn't help but smile as I watched my two kids, their aunt and uncle and their cousin pedal up the well used path toward the lake.

There is no explanation for the ease and comfort I feel here in the deep south. Frankly, if it weren't for the large bugs and my terrible athsma I would seriously consider living down here. Well, that and my lovely husband. That may create problems as he's not a good "hot" person. The heat makes him slightly crazy.

The lovely bike ride in the morning to the open air market was a great way to start the day, that's for sure! I found lots of things I would love to go back and purchase, but lucky for the Man I ran out of time. The market closes before the heat of the day sets in, so he is spared my spree of finds. So many very nice people, innovative and lovely gifts, art galore and live music make me long for more of that in my life. I am sure there are many areas in my own home town that have the quaint loveliness in its own flavor, but for whatever reason (call it life), I rarely take time to sample it.

It is the Big Easy that brings out that longing. Languid days spent sipping icy cocktails by the pool, warm nights enjoyed with walks around a neighborhood brimming with mysterious floral smells, heady and sweet. Listening for the laughing and soft music of an impromptu gathering and the easy way all southern folks will hug you, no matter how long they've known you - you are a friend for life.


My thoughts are disjointed and scattered, happy to just be. My hope for all is that somewhere in your life you will get to experience the open warmth of a southern lifestyle. It's simply mah-velous dahling!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Widget by LinkWithin